Thursday, March 13, 2014

Think

There seems to be a serious lack of rational thought and critical analysis going on these days.  I constantly see posts on Facebook and Twitter advocating lifestyle changes, nutrition and diet ideas, and political ramblings that have absolutely no factual basis.  That's one problem.  I think the bigger problem is that not only did one person post the article, infographic or what-have-you, hundreds, even thousands of people reposted it, and wholeheartedly agreed with it, before taking any consideration as to its accuracy.
I think this sets a dangerous precedent for the way we interact with the availability of information on the internet. It seems like the anonymity and lack of traceability that is inherent on the internet causes people to accept whatever is presented.  As a person who values data accuracy and information density, I find it incredibly frustrating that so much false information is so readily propagated when accurate information almost seems shunned.  I have encountered this situation many times and have even been criticized for not buying in to certain internet recommendations or ideas. 
Specifically, I am thinking about the political rhetoric surrounding gun laws and healthcare reform in the United States.  I was amazed at the things being said and the articles being written that had absolutely no foundational evidence to support their claims.  Now, while I don't claim to be an expert on either of these issues I do have a degree and a published thesis in political science and international relations.  I think this makes me pretty good at researching facts and being critical of information that comes my way.  More importantly, I think I have learned that it is OK to change my opinion regarding an issues when I am presented with new information and that seems to be a problem for most people.  It has been my experience that when it comes to most issues, people are far too emotionally tied to their opinions which causes them a good amount of distress when presented with conflicting information.  I have seen it in many instances.  You can tell by the look on their face.  They want to believe the new information but because they can't let go of their emotions they refuse to change their opinion and what was once a debate has suddenly become an argument.  
I know this has turned into a rant but the point I am trying to make is one of rationality.  I hope that anyone reading this takes the time to seriously think about things they come across.  If people spent more time thinking and less time arguing and spouting the garbage that frequents the internet we might be able to learn something from all of the wonderful information that is available.  Just try to think more and talk less.  If that is my advice I guess I should take it.  


P.S.  If you are looking for information density and accuracy check out the following links:
Vlogbrothers - Not all of the videos are super useful but a lot of them are great explanations about current  events
CGPGrey - Great science and history explanations
Veritasium - Natural world explanations
Crashcourse - Youtube school

These are just some of my favorites but there are plenty more.

No comments:

Post a Comment