Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Short Post: Writing a Novel is Hard

Recently, I started writing my first novel and I will be the first to tell you that it is indeed a difficult undertaking.  I have struggled with finding a balance between between creative but relatable, while still trying not to be derivative.  The problem is that there are SO many good authors out there that have written SO many great things.  I am continually inspired by the absolute perfection in certain writer's works and I have been motivated to try an make every sentence in my novel as necessary as everyone of theirs.  I think that might be why The Great Gatsby is relatively short.  It seems like every sentence is perfect and there is not a word out of place and at the same time Fitzgerald still develops deep and complex characters as well as meaningful symbolism.
I doubt that I will ever be on par with the likes of Fitzgerald but for now I can use him and others as a reference to guide my writing goals.
While at times in my writing I have been discouraged by the monumental tasks in front of me I am simultaneously inspired, not only by the historical greats that we all admire, but also by the community of writers that exists today.  I read about your struggles and hear your success stories and I suddenly become thankful that I am not alone in this quest.
I bid you all good luck in life and in writing and hope that you find what you deserve, even if it's not what you are looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment